Friday, 17 June 2011

About Me

I'm a thirty-something single mother, working in law for my day job. After growing up in a bleak coal mining village in the north-east of England, I moved further south to Lincolnshire, but then it didn't feel like home and so I had to move back. I cope with the trials of everyday life by losing myself in books or by creative writing.

I love classic literature but I'm also a fan of horror, and dare I say it...horror/romance. Despite my age, I've recently developed a love for the young adult genre. My favourite book series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, but I read anything and my tastes change. Out of everything I've read that was published in the past hundred years, I'd have to say that Four Past Midnight, a collection of short stories by Stephen King, is my overall favourite, specifically The Langoliers. Stephen King and Jane Austen tie as my favourite authors.

Favourite quotes:

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind;
And therefore is wing'd Cupid painted blind:
Nor hath Love's mind of any judgement taste;
Wings and no eyes figure unheedy haste:
And therefore is Love said to be a child,
Because in choice he is so oft beguiled."
Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare. Act I, Scene I. Helena speaking.


"Bright youth," she cries, "whom all thy features prove
A God, and, if a God, the God of love;
But if a mortal, blest thy nurse's breast,
Blest are thy parents, and thy sisters blest:
But oh how blest! how more than blest thy bride,
Ally'd in bliss, if any yet ally'd.
If so, let mine the stoln enjoyments be;
If not, behold a willing bride in me."
Metamorphoses by Ovid, Book 4. The Story of Salmacis and Hermaphroditus

At the moment I'm working on a Greek mythology fiction novel, called Salmacis, along with the various other plot bunnies that burrow my way into my brain. Recently, I've also enjoyed being involved in copy editing pieces for other authors, whom you can check out on the tab above.


No comments:

Post a Comment